For some reason, having animals predict the Super Bowl winner is kind of a thing. For slightly more understandable reasons, they're by and large not very good at it.
Here's a somewhat definitive list of the creatures who, like Chris Christie, placed their bets on the wrong team:
- Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl players decided a Denver cake looked more delicious than a treat representing Seattle, choosing incorrectly for the second year in a row.
- More puppies, this time on Jimmy Fallon, also foresaw a Broncos win.
- Tyke the raccoon was all over a Denver Bronco's box.
- After 45 minutes of intense pondering, Pepper the Octopus decided on Denver.
- Thanks to Kiano, a 3-year-old rhino who favored the Broncos, the Blank Point Zoo in Des Moines, Iowa, ended its four-year streak of correct predictions.
- ZooMontana's Ozzy the grizzly bear almost went for a banana cake with a Seahawks logo made of Nutella, but ended up devouring the Broncos cake instead.
- Two komodo dragons, new to Moody Gardens in Texas, agreed that the Broncos had the game in the bag.
- Orange, a harbor seal at the Maritime Aquarium in Connecticut, was given a chance for a "best of three" prediction -- and went for the Broncos twice in a row.
- Le Le, a panda at the Memphis Zoo, was so excited about the Broncos' chances that he rolled around in the team's banner for a while after making his pick.
- After six years of correct predictions, Buffett the manatee failed big-time with a Broncos prediction. (His half-brother Hugh, despite his less accurate record, managed to get it right this time.)
Tragically, New Jersey's own Princess the camel, who between 2006 and 2014 correctly predicted 120 out of 170 NFL games, passed away this January before she had the chance to make one final Super Bowl bet. Next year, the pressure will be on for the remaining few who still manage to get it right:
- Eli, an ape living at a Salt Lake City zoo, continued his six-year winning streak by tackling a papier-maché Seahawks helmet.
- Fred the Psychic Bunny lived up to his name by backing Seattle.
- Teddy bear, a porcupine, made his third consecutive correct prediction this year.
- Pancakes, a pig at the Fort Worth Zoo, is now five for six.