Since March 8, no one has been able to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 — or the 239 passengers it had onboard. As time has passed, there have been no shortage of theories about where to and why the jetliner disappeared; but while investigators spanning multiple countries have been able to piece together various possible scenarios to explain the phenomenon, no one is any closer to definitively solving this bizarre and disturbing mystery.
Here's the latest happenings in the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 saga:
- Malaysian police have begun investigating the backgrounds of the flight's pilots and crew, hoping to uncover something to explain why the plane steered so dramatically off-course. Some professional and amateur sleuths have begun to wonder whether the flight's disappearance could be part of a terrorist plot — but others insist that the level of sophistication and expertise needed to pull off such a stunning act of sabotage is beyond the capacity of any of the militant groups proposed as possible culprits.
- Adding fuel to the fire of speculation over foul play being involved in the plane's disappearance, U.S. experts and investigators claim that some of the flight's actions before disappearing were in-line with textbook "tactical evasion maneuvers." Both U.S. and Malaysian authorities believe these maneuvers are consistent with "deliberate action by someone on the plane." At one point, someone on the flight turned off two aircraft signaling systems.
- Along with looking into the homes of passengers and crew, investigators are also going through the backgrounds of everyone onboard to see if they had any suspicious connections or prior experiences that, in this light, might raise red flags.
- More than a dozen nations have begun to search for the plane, which is now believed to have potentially crashed somewhere within "two huge new areas spanning the Bay of Bengal and reaching deep into the southern Indian Ocean."
- And in meta news, an article from the New Republic on the flight's disappearance which argues that some people secretly hope it's never found so mystery remains in the world (or something) has made many people very upset.