Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. 'A LIVING HELL' FOR SLAVES ON REMOTE SOUTH KOREAN ISLANDS
Slavery thrives on a chain of rural islands off South Korea's rugged southwest coast, nurtured by a long history of exploitation and the demands of trying to squeeze a living from the sea.
2. GRIEVING RELATIVES IDENTIFY BODIES OF LOVED ONES AFTER STAMPEDE
The stampede during a New Year's celebrations along Shanghai's historic waterfront area killed 36 people.
3. INDONESIAN PASSENGER 1ST TO BE IDENTIFIED FROM AIRASIA CRASH
Hayati Lutfiah Hamid, a passenger aboard Flight 8501, became the first victim of the crash to be returned to her family, one of many painful reunions to come.
4. MH370 RELATIVES VIEW INDONESIA CRASH WITH EMPATHY, AND ENVY
Finding the wreckage of AirAsia Flight 8501 gave relatives of those lost anguish and grief, but they also provided the answers that other families have sought in vain for nearly 10 months.
5. AL-JAZEERA ENGLISH JOURNALISTS GET RETRIAL IN EGYPT
An appeals court ordered the retrial for the three men held for over a year on terror-related charges, raising hopes that the case that brought a storm of international criticism is on the way to being resolved.
6. JEB BUSH PREPARES FOR PRESIDENTIAL RUN
The former Florida governor has resigned all of his board memberships — both nonprofit and business — in a move that helps clear a path toward a 2016 campaign.
7. IF NOT HILLARY, THEN WHO?
The entire Democratic Party is working under the assumption that Hillary Clinton will run for president. But if she decides not to, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are among other possible top candidates.
8. WHY GOVERNMENT SCIENTISTS ARE RUNNING A FAKE BAR
In a darkened laboratory complete with bar stools and tap, National Institutes of Health researchers are testing new generations of treatments to help people cut back on alcohol.
9. COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SEMIFINALS UNDERWAY
Oregon routs Florida State in Rose Bowl to reach first College Football Playoff title game; Top-ranked Alabama faces Big Ten champion Ohio State in a national semifinal at the Sugar Bowl.
10. WHAT A MAN FOUND IN HIS ARM 51 YEARS AFTER CAR WRECK
Arthur Lampitt of Granite City, Illinois, smashed his 1963 Thunderbird into a truck. This week during surgery in suburban St. Louis, a 7-inch turn signal lever from that T-Bird was removed from his left arm.