Chicken is so versatile, such a crowd-pleaser and with a slow cooker, so easy to prepare! Whether you’re looking for a super simple way to roast a chicken, a comforting casserole, or an easier way to prepare a more gourmet dish such as coq au vin, you’ll find plenty of options in "Fix-It and Forget-It Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes" by Hope Comerford. Hope is the editor of several "Fix-It and Forget-It" and "Welcome Home" books, as well as the blogger behind “A Busy Mom’s Slow Cooker Adventures.”
Recipe: Chicken Casablanca
Joyce Kaut, Rochester, NY
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep. Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 4½–6½ hours I
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- to 5-qt.
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 3 lb. skinless chicken pieces
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. raisins
- 14½-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1. Sauté onions, ginger, and garlic in oil in skillet. (Reserve oil.) Transfer vegetables to slow cooker. Add carrots and potatoes.
2. Brown chicken over medium heat in reserved oil. Transfer to slow cooker. Mix gently with vegetables.
3. Combine seasonings in separate bowl. Sprinkle over chicken and vegetables. Add raisins and tomatoes.
4. Cover. Cook on High 4–6 hours.
5. Add sliced zucchini, beans, and parsley 30 minutes before serving
Serve over cooked rice or couscous.
Add ½ tsp. turmeric and ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper to Step 3.
—Michelle Mann, Mt. Joy, PA