Chicken is so versatile, such a crowd-pleaser, and with a slow cooker, so easy to prepare! Whether you’re looking for a super simple way to roast a chicken, a comforting casserole, or an easier way to prepare a more gourmet dish such as coq au vin, you’ll find plenty of options in "Fix-It and Forget-It Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes" by Hope Comerford. Hope is the editor of several "Fix-It and Forget-It" and "Welcome Home" books, as well as the blogger behind “A Busy Mom’s Slow Cooker Adventures.”
Recipe: Lemon Pepper Chicken and Veggies
Nadine Martinitz, Salina, KS
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 4–10 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
- 4 carrots, sliced ½" thick
- 4 potatoes, cut in 1” chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced, optional
- 4 whole chicken legs and thighs, skin removed
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- ¼ –½ tsp. poultry seasoning, optional
- 14½-oz. can chicken broth
1. Layer vegetables and chicken in slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning and poultry seasoning if you wish. Pour broth over all.
3. Cover and cook on Low 8–10 hours or on High 4-5 hours.
1. Use a 10 3⁄4-oz. can cream of chicken or mushroom soup instead of chicken broth.
—Sarah Herr, Goshen, IN
2. Add 2 cups frozen green beans to the bottom layer (Step 1) in the cooker.
— Earnest Zimmerman, Mechanicsburg, PA