Chicken is so versatile, such a crowd-pleaser, and with a slow cooker, so easy to prepare! Whether you’re looking for a super simple way to roast a chicken, a comforting casserole, or an easier way to prepare a more gourmet dish such as coq au vin, you’ll find plenty of options in Fix-It and Forget-It Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes by Hope Comerford. Hope is the editor of several Fix-It and Forget-It and Welcome Home books, as well as the blogger behind “A Busy Mom’s Slow Cooker Adventures.”
Recipe: Sweet of Sour Chicken
Kay Kassinger, Port Angeles, WA
Makes 6 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 8–10 hours
- Ideal slow-cooker size: 3-qt.
- 2–3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, approximately 12 pieces
- 14-oz. can pineapple chunks in juice
- Medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1¼ cups bottled sweet–and–sour sauce
- Garlic salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water, optional
1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Layer chicken in slow cooker. Pour pineapple chunks and juice over chicken. Spread onion over pineapple.
3. Pour sweet–and–sour sauce over all. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. If you’d like plenty of sauce, add water.
4. Cover and cook on Low 8–10 hours, or until chicken is tender, but not dry.
Tip: Wonderful served over jasmine rice.