Super Easy Soups and Stews, edited by Abigail R. Gehring, offers 100 ridiculously easy recipes for all your favorite soups, stews, chilies, chowders, and more. Whether you like to prepare dinner on the stovetop or in your slow cooker, Instant Pot, Dutch oven, or good old fashioned stock pot, there are plenty of delicious options here. You'll also find helpful ideas for freezing soups, time-saving tips for prepping ingredients, and handy substitutions to customize soups to your tastes and dietary needs.
Recipe: Chicken Taco Soup
Mary Puskar, Forest Hill, MD
Makes 4 servings
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 3 cups water
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 4 1⁄2-oz. can green chilies
- 14-oz. can chicken broth
- 14-oz. can beef broth
- 14 1⁄2-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Tortilla chips, broken
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1. In a large stockpot, cook chicken breasts in water until tender. Remove meat, reserving cooking water. When chicken is cool enough to handle, chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
2. Chop celery and onion. Grate carrots.
3. In stockpot used for cooking chicken, sauté vegetables in oil.
4. Combine all ingredients in stockpot, except the cooked chicken, tortilla chips, and cheese. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add diced chicken. Heat through.
6. Top each serving with broken tortilla chips and grated cheese.
Like this recipe as much as we do? Click here to purchase a copy of Super Easy Soups and Stews: 100 Soups, Stews, Broths, Chilis, Chowders, and More!