The "Jersey Shore" party girl and the thrice-married conservative talk strippers and booze on the Jay Leno show
On the “Tonight Show” last night, Jay Leno presiding, Newt Gingrich and Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi met cute. Either because both are members of the famous-people club, whose constituents don’t stand on ceremony, or out of deference to the Snook’s one-name only status, only nicknames were exchanged: “Newt, Snooki. Snooki, Newt,” Leno said. The coziness escalated from there.
Newt has already expressed his excitement about the meeting, having tweeted earlier — in what at least one observer noted contained a logic flaw — “On the way to Snooki and Jay! Callista and I both look forward to what should be a fascinating show. Tonight Show is always a class act,” and behaved as such. As Snooki, in her matter-of-fact, controlled, “I’ll tell you anything you want to know and anything you don’t want to know” way, updated Jay on her pregnancy, her breasts, her marriage plans, Newt leaned forward — friendly, curious, hanging on every word. The two are now tweeting at each other and have bequeathed the world this picture.
The exchange between Newt and Snooki contained the following nuggets. (1) Newt’s genuine, judgment-less interest in a person made famous for being drunk on TV (to earn his disdain, you have to be in politics). “‘I’m really impressed. I’ve seen clips of “Jersery Shore.” I’ve seen some of your interviews. It’s great,” he gushed. (2) Newt’s appreciation for Snooki’s stunning capitalist impulse. “Congratulations on having two New York Times bestsellers,” he complimented Snooki. She replied — as cagey as ever — without missing a beat, “I’m trying to be like you.” Newt sighed. Maybe he even blushed. (3) Newt seriously does not care about family values. After Snooki explained that she was definitely going to let her fiancé have strippers at his bachelor party, Leno asked Newt if he’d had strippers. “No,” he said, before following up with “I feel in someway like my life has been deprived.” (4) Newt also approves of her parenting strategy, which will be to show her unborn son all her TV shows, and say, “Yes, I did that; don’t you do that,” the reality-TV version of “Do as I say, not as I do. Newt approved: “I like that phrase, ‘Yes, I did that; don’t you do that.” Of course he does. (5) Maybe he will cameo on Snooki’s TV show. “That would be great. I could just hang out,” he said. “Do you drink, Newt?” Snooki asked. “Sometimes.” “Good for you,” said the pregnant lady.
Willa Paskin is Salon's staff TV writer. More Willa Paskin.
More Related Stories
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
- The camp-free "Behind the Candelabra"
- Justin Bieber will destroy you if you live-tweet his parties
- Marc Maron on Twitter feud with Michael Ian Black: "We have an understanding"
- "Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis to jury: "You should be euthanized"
- Ai Weiwei releases heavy metal music video
- Actually, Beyoncé is a feminist
- Marc Maron and Michael Ian Black's epic Twitter battle
- Cannes: Directing 101 with James Franco
- Welcome to the jungle: The definitive oral history of '80s metal
- Burt Bacharach opens up on daughter's suicide
- Steven Spielberg to produce "Halo" television series
- Amazon set to launch fine-art gallery
- Twitter torches Dan Brown's "Inferno"
- Brad Pitt keeps breaking his silence on how boring marriage to Jennifer Aniston was
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11