Salon limerick contest
Silly five-line poems about the GOP convention
Didn’t H.L. Mencken say every convention gets the poems it deserves? In any case, here are some of the funniest limericks Salon readers contributed to dignify last week’s confab in Tampa, Fla.
For this week’s contest, we’re asking poetic-minded readers to look at the Dems’ get-together in Charlotte, N.C. As a service to posterity, however, we’ll also consider any entries that include a rhyme for the word “chair.”
Christie’s key to repeated election
Is restraint in seeking affection.
“I make them respect me,
Then they elect me!
For love I woo my reflection.”
Quentin Sullivan, Haverhill, Mass.
Tattletales, Tampa strip club, posts sign,
Says, “No Minors, No Liberals” – does fine
By the men it admits
All this week: hypocrites,
“Family values” Republican swine.
Jim Parry, Darien, Conn.
Take a look at the Tampa convention,
That gathering of minds in declension.
You’ll see some non-whites,
They’re all bathed in stage lights,
But the embrace is the purest invention.
RNC speakers begin to assemble,
And their rhetoric starts to dissemble.
From Rubio to Ryan.
There’ll be no shortage of lyin’.
Causing fact-checkers all over to tremble.
Jim Brown, Scarsdale, N.Y.
Our Mitt Romney is really a blast,
He’s completely re-written his past.
He will be what you like;
Oh, the poses he’ll strike!
If he could only remember the last.
Stephen Turner, Milwaukee, Wis.
This week we’ll turn to Charlotte. Send your entries to email@example.com. Deadline is 5 p.m. Friday. Please include you name and home town. Happy Rhyming.
Alex Halperin is news editor at Salon. You can follow him on Twitter @alexhalperin.More Alex Halperin.
More Related Stories
- Wall Street Journal columnist pens scathing “endorsement” of Rand Paul
- Bill O'Reilly asks John Calipari how he coaches all those crazy black kids
- Charlie Crist goes nuclear, says Rick Scott is a liar and a thief
- There's a giant bird "capable of disemboweling a human" on the run in England
- Barry Scheck: Stunning new case highlights how race bias corrupts juries
- Domino's just replaced its pizza crust with fried chicken
- GOP's shameful decline on race: While Bush celebrated Voting Rights Act, DeMint's ignorance now reigns
- 8 stunning photos of last night's spooky "Blood Moon"
- A horrifying disease is threatening to destroy the world's bananas
- Eric Holder: I'm “cautiously optimistic” about legal pot in Washington and Colorado
- Rush Limbaugh is now a Hillary Clinton shoe truther
- GOP Rep. Ted Yoho implies the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 update: Search area too deep for Bluefin-21 submarine
- Medical experts urge Tennessee governor to veto bill that would jail women for their pregnancy outcomes
- Chris Christie update: Lawyers release (some) notes from internal inquiry
- 6 facts about psychedelic drugs that will totally blow your mind
- 20 remarkable facts you never knew about Stephen Colbert
- Boston Marathon bombing, one year later: Were the Tsarnaevs really cowards?
- My iconic nightmare: How I became the face of the Boston bombing
- NSA apologist Peter King calls Greenwald Pulitzer a "disgrace"
- Court: Requiring companies to disclose the use of "conflict minerals" violates their First Amendment rights
Featured Slide Shows
- 1 of 11
Kim Leeson/George W. Bush Presidential Center via Flickr
Recent Slide Shows
- The best and worst series finale music of all time
- Stories from a Warming Planet: Wildfires
- Seven celebrity "authors" who didn't do it alone
- They're no "Divergent": Eight young-adult movie franchises that died untimely deaths
- Space porn: These images are (quite literally) out of this world
- Gridlock in Atlanta
- The 7 most awkward family holiday photos of all time
- Red List 2013