Unlike Todd Akin
Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, is standing by Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock after his comments that a pregnancy resulting from rape “is something that God intended to happen.”
Cornyn, who chairs the National Republican Senatorial Committee, said in a statement: ”Richard and I, along with millions of Americans – including even Joe Donnelly – believe that life is a gift from God. To try and construe his words as anything other than a restatement of that belief is irresponsible and ridiculous.”
The NRSC has been less forgiving toward Todd Akin, and is still steering clear of him after his comments about “legitimate rape.”
Mitt Romney, who is starring in an ad for Mourdock airing around Indiana this week, said he “disagrees” with Mourdock’s comments, but so far hasn’t shown any sign that he’s backing away from his endorsement.
Jillian Rayfield is an Assistant News Editor for Salon, focusing on politics. Follow her on Twitter at @jillrayfield or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. More Jillian Rayfield.
More Related Stories
- Is abortion about to doom Republicans again?
- How to oust Michele Bachmann from Congress
- Krist Novoselic: My plan to fix Congress, curb obstruction
- Why I quit the Republican Party
- How IRS scandal could help Karl Rove and dark money
- The truly worrying thing about Mark Sanford's win
- The futility of the Deep South Democrat
- Sanford wins special election in South Carolina
- Is revolution coming to the U.S.?
- How a big fracking setback got overlooked
- Rand Paul will never be president
- It's time for Democrats to ditch Andrew Jackson
- What you need to know about Gabriel Gomez
- Who is the real Anthony Weiner?
- How to interpret Kirsten Gillibrand's political opportunism
- Census reveals historic black voter turnout
- Republican's term limits proposal is dumb, undemocratic
- Save your cash -- forget OFA!
- The Reagan Revolution is over
- Pelosi to Salon: They had to take me down
- Campaign finance reform in the age of Citizens United
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11