A much talked about 1981 concert arrives on YouTube, showing the band working through "Radio Free Europe" and more VIDEO
Calling all R.E.M. nerds: The ever-obsessive Slicing Up Eyeballs site, which lovingly chronicles the heyday of college radio, has posted amazing footage from one of the band’s very first shows, at the 688 club in Atlanta.
This dates back to February 1981 — the exact day is uncertain — which puts the show some 18 months before the release of the debut EP “Chronic Town,” and a full two years before “Murmur.”
It’s a classic, 40-minute early set, including lots of frenetic covers, Stipe dance moves, and early versions of “Radio Free Europe” and “Gardening at Night.” It’s part of a series of early R.E.M. videos being posted by Wuxtry Records, the famed Athens record store where clerk Peter Buck met Stipe.
David Daley is the executive editor of Salon. More David Daley.
More Related Stories
- Stop what you're doing and go watch "Borgen"
- Teenage girl claims she was beaten up for looking like Taylor Swift
- Mike Judge: "Bowling for Columbine" made me pro-gun
- New York chef serves up eight-course meal around "Arrested Development" jokes
- HLN: Jodi Arias "pleading for her life" got us a ratings win!
- Michael Ian Black on Maron feud: He "considered me a poseur"
- Chekhov's story mirrors Russia's own
- Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina denied parole
- Joe Francis apologizes for calling jury "retarded"
- Mary Karr: David Foster Wallace and I kept each other alive
- Morgan Freeman sleeps during televised interview
- J.J. Abrams reveals deleted shower scene with Benedict Cumberbatch
- Is the anti-gay backlash on?
- Paul McCartney backs Pussy Riot
- Cannes: Ryan Gosling's new movie draws the boo-birds
- Radio host tweets rape joke, blames journalists for reporting on it
- Juror responds to Joe Francis' insults with thoughtful email
- New track from the Lonely Island features Solange Knowles, semicolons
- Amazon introduces fan fiction publishing platform
- Naomi Watts, "Argo," "Wonderstone" among bizarre Teen Choice Awards nominees
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot member declares hunger strike
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 picsclose X
- 1 of 11
Credit: AP/LM Otero
Credit: AP/Matt Rourke
Credit: AP/Jenny Aicher
Credit: AP/Molly Riley
Credit: AP/J. Scott Applewhite
Credit: AP/Carolyn Kaster
Credit: AP/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Jeff Scheid
Credit: AP/NASA/Chris Hadfield
Credit: AP/Jacquelyn Martin
Credit: AP/The Duluth News-Tribune/Clint Austin
Recent Slide Shows
- 1 of 11