CNN’s Boston embarrassment: How a “scoop” turns sour
CNN reported that a Boston bombing suspect was in custody, followed by Fox and AP. Here's how it all went wrong
By Daniel D'AddarioTopics: CNN, john king, AP, Fox News, CNN wrong, Boston Marathon, Boston Marathon suspect, Editor's Pick, Editor's Picks, Media Criticism, News
At 12:04 p.m., CNN’s Breaking News Twitter broadcast that a “suspect” in the bombing of the Boston Marathon had been “ID’d.”
Investigators believe they've ID'd suspect in Boston bombings, source tells @johnkingcnn on.cnn.com/17FSY7w
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) April 17, 2013
This scoop was credited to CNN reporter John King, who, as of this writing, is not on air. Less than an hour later, CNN declared there had been an arrest.
Law enforcement sources: Arrest made in the Boston bombings investigation. on.cnn.com/15fOGEd
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) April 17, 2013
Other news outlets chased CNN, with the Associated Press and Fox News reporting a similar story shortly after 1 p.m. in each case.
BREAKING: Law enforcement official: Boston Marathon bomb suspect in custody, expected in federal court. -BW
— The Associated Press (@AP) April 17, 2013
#BREAKING NEWS: FoxNews.com confirms arrest made in deadly #Boston Marathon bombing fxn.ws/YSLNGJ
— Fox News (@FoxNews) April 17, 2013
But by 1:43, CNN had cited the Department of Justice and Boston Police Department in their claim that no arrest was made.
DOJ and Boston PD: No arrest has been made in#Boston bombings. on.cnn.com/15fOGEd
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) April 17, 2013
CNN’s tweets about the events in Boston today link to a liveblog whose URL ends “source-arrest-made-in-boston-bombing/.” King’s reporting for CNN, preserved in the liveblog, indicates that the police “identified a suspect based on an analysis of video from a Lord & Taylor department store near the site of the second blast, and that video from a Boston TV station also helped.”
The news network walked back its reporting shortly after NBC News, among other news outlets, declared there had been no arrest.
Multiple sources confirm to NBC News: "No Arrest"
— NBC News (@NBCNews) April 17, 2013
LATEST: "All we can say for certain, is that all of our sources say no arrest" - NBC’s Pete Williams on Boston investigation
— NBC News (@NBCNews) April 17, 2013
In the process of walking the claim back, though, CNN refused to fully retract its story, acknowledging the Department of Justice’s claims but writing in its liveblog at 1:46: “An arrest has been made in connection with Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings, sources tell CNN’s John King and CNN contributor Fran Townsend.”
At 2 p.m., under close scrutiny due to conflicts with other news sources, CNN dug in its heels, continuing to reiterate details of King’s reporting: “The arrest is based on two videos showing images of the suspect, a federal law enforcement source told CNN contributor Fran Townsend.” CNN’s Piers Morgan, not on air, acknowledged the error, while contributor Fran Townsend, who’d reported the erroneous news, cited a “misunderstanding.”
Looks like all reports of #Boston arrest are WRONG, incl CNN - which is now retracting earlier source info.
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) April 17, 2013
"Chaos:" Fran Townsend, on CNN, suggests there's been a "misunderstanding" in the law enforcement community about whether arrest was made.
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) April 17, 2013
At 2:23, the network’s reporting had become the story. “As news of an arrest spreads, a crowd has been gathering outside a federal courthouse in Boston,” wrote the CNN liveblog. (That courthouse has since been evacuated.)
Meanwhile, the Boston Globe has floated a claim that a suspect may or may not have been arrested: “While a source told the Globe that a person had been taken into custody and other news organizations reported the same, based on their own sources, the US attorney’s office, the FBI, and Boston police issued statements saying no one had been arrested.”
CNN, which misreported the Supreme Court verdict on Obamacare last year, has come under fire for having been the first to misreport an arrest, and potentially to have driven erroneous coverage. Fox News has rewritten its story as “DEVELOPING” and acknowledging its reporting flies in the face of FBI and Boston Police statements.
The Associated Press wrote: “The official who spoke to the AP did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed. A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.”
The venerable news network has defended itself, with a spokesman saying CNN “adjusted our reporting” as soon as new information became available.
CNN spox: "CNN had three credible sources on both local and federal levels. Based on this information we reported our findings." (1/2)
— Michael Calderone (@mlcalderone) April 17, 2013
CNN spox: "As soon as our sources came to us with new information we adjusted our reporting.” (2/2)
— Michael Calderone (@mlcalderone) April 17, 2013
As of this writing, Chris Cuomo is standing in Boston, reporting on a Texas murder trial. He’s reporting that a suspect has been arrested.
Daniel D'Addario is a staff reporter for Salon's entertainment section. Follow him on Twitter @DPD_ More Daniel D'Addario.
Related Stories
More Related Stories
-
Assata Shakur first woman named on FBI most wanted list
-
Georgia town allegedly diverting sewage to black neighborhood
-
Pic of the day: World Trade Center reborn
-
Hacker steals sensitive infrastructure data from U.S. military
-
Shots fired at Houston airport
-
Howard Kurtz and the Daily Beast "part ways" after Jason Collins error
-
Dutch police may get right to hack into computers
-
U.S. calls for amnesty of American prisoner in North Korea
-
Maryland bans the death penalty
-
Why conservatives should support immigration equality
-
6 insidious ways you're getting ripped off
-
Fracking ourselves to death in Pennsylvania
-
Americans to government: Hands off our civil liberties
-
What anti-LGBT activists say "off the record"
-
Accidental child shooting in Kentucky sparks gun debate
-
Obama will pitch immigration overhaul in Mexico
-
Bangladesh building collapse toll climbs to 433
-
NYPD's Ray Kelly: Blacks "understopped" by police
-
Obama administration to defend age restrictions on emergency contraception
-
Gitmo lawyer found dead in apparent suicide
-
Teenager charged for science project gone awry
Featured Slide Shows
The week in 10 pics
close X- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
-
This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
Reuters/Jason Reed -
Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
AP/A.M. Ahad -
Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
AP/Elise Amendola -
Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani -
Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
AP/Manish Swarup -
Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
AP/Jeff Roberson -
Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel -
Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
AP/Liu Yinghua -
On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
AP/Rogelio V. Solis -
The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
AP/David J. Phillip -
Recent Slide Shows
-
The week in 10 pics
-
"Arrested Development" character posters
-
Photos of the Boston manhunt
-
Newspaper headlines covering the Boston explosion
-
- Share on Twitter
- Share on Facebook
- Thumbnails
- Fullscreen
- 1 of 11
- Previous
- Next
Related Videos
Most Read
-
71 names so awful New Zealand had to ban them
Kyle Kim, GlobalPost
-
"This could be a career ender for Michele Bachmann"
Alex Seitz-Wald
-
He made me his drug mule
Alix Wall
-
Ted Cruz will never be president
Joan Walsh
-
Claire Messud to Publishers Weekly: "What kind of question is that?"
David Daley
-
Pictures of people who mock me
Haley Morris-Cafiero
-
Is Michael Pollan a sexist pig?
Emily Matchar
-
How conspiracists think
Sander van der Linden, Scientific American
-
Bush cancels Europe trip amid calls for his arrest
Justin Elliott
-
"Star Trek's" Wil Wheaton tells newborn girl why being a nerd "is awesome"
Prachi Gupta





Comments
21 Comments