Tours of duty


Geraldine Sealey
January 7, 2005 9:15PM (UTC)

Earlier this week, we told you about the chief of the Army Reserve, who warned in a candid internal memo published by the Baltimore Sun that his overburdened force was approaching the "breaking point." Among other things, Lt. Gen. James R. "Ron" Helmly told his superiors, the Pentagon was "much too sluggish" in working up signing bonuses for new reservists, contributing to the, um, short lines at recruitment centers. Well, the chief will love this headline from the Washington Post today: "Reservists May Face Longer Tours of Duty."

If the Reserve was a less than attractive opportunity already, what with those months and months of driving convoys around the minefield that is war-torn Iraq, guaranteed that whole recruitment problem will be remedied with the news that a "change under consideration ... would essentially make a reservist eligible for an unlimited number of call-ups but stipulate that no single mobilization would last more than 24 consecutive months." An unlimited number of two-year assignments in Iraq or Afghanistan? Where do we sign up? Article here.

Advertisement:

Geraldine Sealey

Geraldine Sealey is senior news editor at Salon.com.

MORE FROM Geraldine Sealey

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

War Room

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •