Details on the third Duke indictment

Third player maintains innocence as defense attorney questions photo I.D. lineup.


Sarah Elizabeth Richards
May 16, 2006 12:20AM (UTC)

David Evans, the third suspect indicted on charges he raped and kidnapped a woman hired to dance at a party for Duke lacrosse players, maintained his innocence at press conference convened this afternoon, the Associated Press reports in an update.

"I am absolutely innocent of all the charges brought against me," Evans said to the gathering outside the Durham County magistrate's office, where he had arrived to turn himself in, although his lawyer said he was expected to be released. "These allegations are lies. Fabricated. And they will be proven wrong."

Advertisement:

Evans told reporters that though authorities had rejected his offer to take a polygraph, he had taken and passed a test arranged by his attorneys. He also said that his other two teammates charged last month were innocent. One of Evans' lawyers, Joseph Cheshire, also criticized the photo identification lineup the accuser used to pick his client, claiming that the alleged victim named Evans with 90 percent certainty. The woman reportedly told police she would be 100 percent sure of the identification if Evans had a mustache, but Evans has never had one, Cheshire told the AP.

An assistant in the district attorney's office had no immediate comment on the charges.


Sarah Elizabeth Richards

Sarah Elizabeth Richards is a journalist based in New York. She can be reached at sarah@saraherichards.com.

MORE FROM Sarah Elizabeth Richards


Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Broadsheet Love And Sex

Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •