- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, freshly dry toasted in a skillet over low heat
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium white onion, julienned
- 1 cup scallions, julienned
- 2-3 green chili peppers, such as jalapeños, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a generous amount of coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- salt to taste
- sesame seed hamburger buns (keeping the Chinese Muslim theme, these are a nod to nang, a thick sesame crusted flatbread eaten in this region)
- Season ground lamb with salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and toasted cumin seeds. Combine thoroughly.
- Shape into patties.
- Heat oil in pan, then sauté onion, scallions and peppers and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until onions are translucent and wilted. Set aside.
- Cook lamb patties to desired doneness on an outdoor grill, preferably charcoal.
- Serve burgers on grilled sesame seed buns, and top with the onion and pepper mixture.