- 28 ounces ground sirloin (85 percent lean)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 challah buns
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 pickle slices
- Ketchup and Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced into four 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced, soaked in ice water until crisp
- 4 leaves crisp romaine lettuce, shredded
- Form the beef into four 7-ounce patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill to medium. Lightly oil the grates.
- Grill the burgers, flipping once, to desired doneness. Cover and set aside.
- Brush the insides of the buns with the softened butter and grill until golden. Set aside.
- Heat the broiler.
- Top each burger with a slice of the cheese, then place under the broiler until just melted.
- Place each burger on the bottom half of a roll. Top with a pickle, then ketchup and mustard, then the tomato, onion and lettuce. Finish with the top of the bun.