- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 live lobsters, 1-1/4 pounds each (select the liveliest ones)
- Pour 3 cups of water into a large stockpot with a vegetable steamer. Add the salt and bring to a boil. (A large pot should accommodate up to 6 lobsters. For servings of more than 6, use a second pot.)
- Drop the live lobsters head-first into the pot, cover tightly and say 10 Hail Marys. Steam for 8 to 10 minutes per pound (12 minutes should be perfect for 1-1/4-pound lobsters).
- The lobsters will be a deep red color when done. To double-check doneness, pull off one of the walking legs. If it comes away easily, it is done.
- Remove lobsters from the pot. Turn each lobster upside down and make a cut through the shell down the middle of the entire tail. Serve immediately.