- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 anchovies (or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (the real stuff, not the dried stuff)
- 1 egg yolk, coddled (Submerge the whole egg in boiling water for exactly 40 seconds. Then separate the yolk from the whites as usual.This kills the bacteria without cooking the yolk.)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup safflower oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 medium-large heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded, remaining leaves washed and thoroughly dried
- 2 cups croutons
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add the first 8 ingredients to a large unvarnished wooden salad bowl, in order, one at a time. Beginning with the garlic, after adding each new ingredient use the back of a soup spoon to grind it against the wall of the bowl and blend it with the previous ingredients into a smooth paste. It should take about 15 seconds of muscle power to blend in each new ingredient.
- Add the oil and vinegar and blend well.
- Just before serving, tear or slice the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces and add to the salad bowl. Toss thoroughly with dressing.
- Add the croutons and cheese, toss again, and serve.