- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) canned black beans (save the juices)
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic, or red wine vinegar
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and add onion and garlic. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add salt, pepper and spices, and stir for one minute.
- Add beans (and juices) and vinegar. Stir mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- With a masher or a fork, mash beans.
- Serve warm.