- 2 cups of day old challah, brioche or pound cake, cubed (or gluten free pound cake or bread)
- 3 cups of (whole) milk, scalded
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
- ½ cup of chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter an 8x8 baking pan.
- Scald milk, add butter and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Add the other ingredients (except bread & chocolate) to milk mixture and whisk to incorporate. Drop cubed bread and chopped chocolate into the prepared casserole dish and gently pour tepid liquid over it. Cover with foil and place in hot water bath in the preheated oven. Keep covered for at least 30 minutes and bake for a total of one hour or until just a tiny bit wiggly in the center. Serve slightly warm with whipped cream on a puddle of dulce de leche.
Notes: Cube the bread the day before and let it sit uncovered overnight. It needs to be slightly stale and dried. A serrated knife will chop the chocolate easily.