Yield: Makes about 1 ½ quarts
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 2/3 cups dulce de leche (from 1 1/3 14-ounce cans condensed milk)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Bring milk and cream to a gentle boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in dulce de leche until dissolved (it will still be a little lumpy).
- Whisk in vanilla and transfer to a bowl.
- Chill this mixture for several hours in a covered bowl in the refrigerator or cool it quickly in an ice bath. Make sure the mixture is completely cold before freezing.
- Freeze chilled mixture in an ice cream maker until almost firm.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, for at least 1 hour.