- 2 cups peeled and chopped fresh peaches
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/8 cup finely diced celery
- 1 seeded and finely chopped datil or habanero chile (use half if you are averse to heat!)
- 2 tablespoons canola or other neutrally flavored cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½-1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then add the onion, bell pepper, celery and chile. Sauté, stirring, until the vegetables have softened and become translucent.
- Add the peaches and allspice to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, until the peaches give off their juice and start to dissolve. Add water if they start to stick to the pan.
- Taste the mixture and add enough sugar and vinegar to give a good balance of sweetness and tanginess. ("Good" can mean anything you want it to, so this can go as sweet or as tart as you like.)
- Store the relish covered in the refrigerator. Serve with ham, grilled chicken, or with good bread and cheese.