Serves four with rice or bread
- 1 pound beetroot quartered and diced
- 1 pound beef/lamb cubed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon amchoor (dried mango powder), optional
- fresh coriander leaves
- grated lemon peel
- ½ cup oil
- salt to taste
- Heat a heavy bottom dish over medium high heat.
- When hot, add oil and then the sliced onion.
- Brown the onion over medium heat till nicely caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and lay out on paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- In the still hot dish, add the meat and brown on all sides, then add the garlic and ginger paste, red chili, coriander powder and turmeric and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the beetroot and some water to cover the mixture generously.
- Crush the cooled, browned onions and add to the dish.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, season lightly with salt and cook covered over medium-low heat until both the meat and beetroot are tender, about 1.5 hours.
- Uncover, add amchoor powder and cook over high heat till the curry is of desired consistency. Season with salt to taste
- Let it sit uncovered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and grated lemon peel.