Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat

The monument is cleared for the second time in two weeks after anonymous call from a nearby telephone booth


Pierre-yves Roger
September 28, 2010 10:38PM (UTC)

Paris police say the Eiffel Tower is being evacuated following the second bomb threat against the monument in two weeks.

The city's police headquarters says an anonymous caller phoned in a bomb threat Tuesday from a telephone booth near the tower.

The monument was evacuated Sept. 14 after a similar phone threat, and a police search turned up nothing suspicious. On Monday, the bustling Saint Lazare train station in Paris was evacuated and searched.

Advertisement:

Several top French officials have said lately that France is on alert for possible terror attacks. National Police Chief Frederic Pechenard said last week that authorities suspect al-Qaida's North African branch of plotting a bomb attack on a crowded target.


Pierre-yves Roger

MORE FROM Pierre-yves Roger

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

France Terrorism

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •