Rejuvenating Balinese green apple salad
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 6 limes)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (if unavailable, substitute salt)
- 2 teaspoons water
- 4 Thai bird chilies, thinly sliced
- half of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2-4 tablespoons shelled, roasted peanuts, crushed
- Make the dressing first so flavors have time to blend. Combine first four ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Add sliced chilies. Set aside.
- Slice onions and set aside.
- Crush peanuts. I find it easiest to use a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, place peanuts in a Ziploc bag, seal, and roll with a rolling pin until coarsely crushed.
- Core and julienne the green apples and immediately combine with the dressing to prevent apples from turning brown.
- Just before serving, sprinkle crushed peanuts on top.