- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar (10X)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- candied cherries or pecan halves for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a mixer, cream butter and sugar, then gradually add flour. Add salt and vanilla.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick, in a rough rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-inch-square pieces. Press cherry or pecan halves onto each square.
- Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. The cuts will have melded back together, but quick work with a sharp knife will take care of that. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.