- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn flour -- I used Bob's Red Mill brand, which is found in many supermarkets. (Do not confuse with corn meal, masa or corn starch)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- garnish: golden yellow sanding (coarse) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift first four dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter until soft, then add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, and then add vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients into a soft dough. Spread dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap, then roll into a 12-inch log (about 2 inch diameter). Chill wrapped dough log in refrigerator until firm, at least 4 hours.
- After dough has been chilled, sprinkle work surface with sanding sugar. Unwrap chilled dough log and roll several times in sanding sugar to coat.
- Slice coated dough log into 1/2 inch slices. Place dough slices onto ungreased baking sheets, sprinkle with additional sanding sugar if desired, and bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are golden. Cool completely.