Servings: about 12
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard (such as Colman's, quintessentially English)
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- ½ cup ale or other beer of your choice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces cheddar, such as Kerrygold, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf of crusty bread, sliced into 12 pieces and lightly toasted
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk flour into melted butter and stir for a few minutes until golden.
- Add in mustard, cayenne, beer and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in cream and bring to a simmer.
- Gradually add grated cheese in several batches, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture thickly onto toast and put under broiler until bubbly and edges of toast are crisp. Serve immediately.
- Any remaining sauce can be refrigerated for up to three days. Spread onto toast and broil to serve.