This is a sunny drink that will bring you out of your winter doldrums and let you imagine that you are basking in the sun in Rio. The thyme adds an herbal zing. For the best flavor, roll the whole lemon on the counter before cutting to maximize the amount of juice and to release its aromatic oils. (Bonus feature: The colors of this drink match the Brazilian flag.)
- 1 Meyer lemon, cut into small wedges
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 1 ½ ounces cachaça
- crushed ice
- Remove leaves from 2 thyme sprigs (done easily by running the sprig through your fingers or the tines of a fork).
- Muddle the thyme leaves, lemon wedges and sugar together in a glass.
- Add cachaça and stir.
- Cover with an equal amount of crushed ice to fill the glass.
- Garnish with a thyme sprig and lemon wedge.