- 1 large beef tongue
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 4 chipotle chiles in their sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup of white wine (optional)
- 1 shallot (optional)
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- ½ onion
- 1 tablespoon of bacon grease
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- the cooked tongue (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of chipotle juice
- 1 small handful of onion chives or shallot greens
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- 3 cups of cooked black beans
- tortillas (warm)
- sour cream or crema fresco
- salsa verde
- greens or diced cabbage (optional)
- Fill large saucepan with water.
- Add ingredients from Group I and turn heat to low.
- Poach tongue for 2 hours and 45 minutes. Lower heat if stock starts to bubble.
- Remove tongue from stock. Reserve stock.
- When tongue has cooled a little, remove outer skin. (Easier said than done.)
- Return tongue to broth. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Remove tongue from stock. (Reserve stock for other purposes.) Cut away gristle and most of the fat. Cube meat.
- Salt meat to taste. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of chipotle juice. Toss with minced cilantro, garlic and chives.
- Heat bacon grease in large pan or wok.
- Sauté onion in bacon grease until it turns translucent.
- Add half the meat. Fry for a minute or two. Remove.
- Repeat process with the rest of the meat.
- Transfer meat to serving dish and add fresh lime juice.
- Serve with ingredients from Group III.