Not a moment too soon: a Buddy Holly tribute album by some of the music industry's hippest names. Like Kid Rock, for example, and Zooey Deschanel (from her band, She & Him). So far the album "Rave On" has released three tracks to the listening public, with today's sample being My Morning Jacket covering "True Love Ways." It's like emo-high school all over again!
Julian Casablancas: "Rave On"
Black Keys: "Dearest"
My Morning Jacket: "True Love Ways"
The whole track list is available to look at, though it won't be sold until June 28th:
1. The Black Keys, "Dearest"
2. Fiona Apple & Jon Brion, "Every Day"
3. Paul McCartney, "It's So Easy"
4. Florence and the Machine, "Not Fade Away"
5. Cee Lo Green, "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care"
6. Karen Elson, "Crying, Waiting, Hoping"
7. Julian Casablancas, "Rave On"
8. Jenny O, "I'm Gonna Love You Too"
9. Justin Townes Earle, "Maybe Baby"
10. She & Him, "Oh Boy"
11. Nick Lowe, "Changing All Those Changes"
12. Patti Smith, "Words Of Love"
13. My Morning Jacket, "True Love Ways"
14. Modest Mouse, "That'll Be The Day"
15. Kid Rock, "Well…All Right"
16. The Detroit Cobras, "Heartbeat"
17. Lou Reed, "Peggy Sue"
18. John Doe, "Peggy Sue Got Married"
19. Graham Nash, "Raining In My Heart"
Modest Mouse doing "That'll Be the Day"? I don't know, I love Modest Mouse and all, but if they make this song sound like a creepy statement on how we're all isolated on the middle planet, surrounded by a giant eye … I'm just going to be really mad. Fiona Apple doing "Every Day" also sounds like something you'd cut your wrists to, not put a bounce in your step. And who let Kid Rock onto this album?
But definitely looking forward to seeing what Cee Lo does with "Baby, I Don't Care." I could hear a whole album of Cee Lo covering Buddy Holly and be okay with it.