- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (diced)
- 1 chile (diced)
- 2 cups cooked beans (black or small red)
- ½ cup bean broth
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar or escabeche brine
- Salt to taste
- Chopped chives or scallions, sour cream or crema fresca, and cilantro (optional -- for garnish)
- Heat pan to medium hot. Add oil.
- Add garlic, chile, beans and bean broth.
- When beans are bubbling hot, add rice and vinegar or escabeche brine.
- Add salt. (In my opinion, gallo pinto is best when it's fairly salty.)
- Cook at medium heat until liquid is absorbed.
- Cook a minute or two longer.
- Garnish with sour cream, chives or scallions, and cilantro.