One of the blast sites on Boylston Street near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon (AP/Elise Amendola)

Boston cellphone service remains up

An earlier intelligence briefing suggested service had been shut down to prevent potential remote detonations


Eileen Sullivan
April 16, 2013 2:16AM (UTC)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Cellphone companies say service is operating in the Boston area, but with heavy traffic following of the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

A law enforcement official, citing an intelligence briefing, said cellphone service had been shut down Monday in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.

Advertisement:

But officials with Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel said there had been no such requests.

Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis said: "Minus some mild call blocking on our Boston network due to increased traffic, our service is operating normally."

Two people were killed and scores injured when two explosives detonated near the finish line of the marathon.


Eileen Sullivan

MORE FROM Eileen Sullivan

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Associated Press Boston Boston Bombings Boston Marathon



BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •