Prince (AP)

The first clue into what caused Prince's death? The music icon reportedly overdosed on Percocet a week before he was found dead

According to TMZ, Prince was injected with a "save shot" after overdosing after an Atlanta concert


Michael Garofalo
April 22, 2016 10:21PM (UTC)

One day after news of Prince's death shocked the world, fans are seeking answers to how and why the pop icon died. An official explanation won't be released until the results of an autopsy are complete, which could take weeks, but a new report offers what could be the first hint into what caused Prince's death.

According to TMZ, Prince overdosed on Percocet after a concert in Atlanta last week, prompting EMTs to inject the singer with a "save shot." The outlet reports that Prince's plane made an emergency landing in Illinois early on the morning of April 15, after which emergency responders treated Prince at the airport and then rushed him to a hospital. Prince and his entourage reportedly disregarded the advice of doctors and left the hospital just hours after arriving, heading for the singer's Minnesota home. 

Advertisement:

Six days later, Prince died at 57 in his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minnesota.

Prince was reportedly taking Percocet, an opioid, to treat a hip problem. A "save shot" is an injection, commonly of the drug naloxone, used to reverse the effects of a life-threatening opiate overdose.

 


Michael Garofalo

MORE FROM Michael GarofaloFOLLOW @mi_garofalo

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Prince Tmz

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••





Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •