President Donald Trump's "Muslim ban" has caused over 100,000 visas to be revoked, despite the government claiming that the ban only affected hundreds.
After a pair of brothers from Yemen sued the government for being forced to fly to Ethiopia after arriving at Dulles International Airport on Saturday, an attorney for the United States government revealed that over 100,000 visas had been revoked since the Muslim ban took effect. The attorney could not say how many foreign nationals in total had been forced to go home from Dulles International Airport as a result of the Muslim ban.
In an unrelated case that also saw a major development on Friday, District Judge Victoria Roberts ruled in Detroit that green card holders should not be subject to Trump's Muslim ban. This is consistent with a position declared by Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly on Sunday that green card holders would be spared from the Muslim ban. During the case, government lawyers also said that the Muslim ban would not be applied to "lawful" residents.
Although the Trump administration has recently protested referring to the president's executive order as a "Muslim ban," it is consistent with a pledge he made throughout his campaign to stop Muslims from coming into the United States. What's more, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani told "Fox & Friends" on Saturday that "I’ll tell you the whole history of it: When he first announced it, he said ‘Muslim ban,' He called me up, he said, ‘Put a commission together, show me the right way to do it legally.’"
According to the State Department, fewer than 60,000 visas were canceled under Trump's order, the Associated Press reports.
Matthew Rozsa is a breaking news writer for Salon. He holds an MA in History from Rutgers University-Newark and is ABD in his PhD program in History at Lehigh University. His work has appeared in Mic, Quartz and MSNBC.