Right won’t let go of Saudi conspiracy theory

The man, who officials say wasn't even a suspect, is still all Glenn Beck wants to talk about

Topics: Glenn Beck, Boston explosion, boston marathon bombings, conspiracy theories,

Right won't let go of Saudi conspiracy theory (Credit: s_bukley via Shutterstock)

As the world turned its attention to the manhunt in Boston last night and the two brothers now suspected in this week’s bombings, some on the right are still stuck on that Saudi national whom the New York post initially fingered as a suspect (when they also reported that 12 people were killed in the attack). According to Boston Marathon bombing conspiracy theory B (conspiracy theory A being Alex Jones’ “false flag” notion), the U.S. government planned to quietly deport the Saudi in a kind of coverup of the administration’s incompetence and a paean to the Saudi Royal Family.

Terrorism “expert” Steve Emerson, who seems to have an awful lot of gaps in his knowledge of terrorism for an “expert,” first created the narrative on Sean Hannity’s show Wednesday night, and soon Hannity, Glenn Beck, Pamela Geller and even a Republican congressman took it and ran with it. Officials categorically denied the claims yesterday, saying proponents of the rumor were confusing the Saudi questioned after the marathon with a different Saudi national who was being deported on an unrelated matter, and that the first Saudi was never a suspect in the bombing.

But that didn’t stop Emerson and the others. Last night on Fox, Hannity said his own “sources in Washington” confirmed the claim. Emerson, appearing on the show, added that he had seen secret documents further bolstering the theory.

Glenn Beck went much further, calling for impeachments over the alleged coverup when he interviewed Emerson this morning, saying the government has “aided and abetted” evildoers. “I don’t bluff,” Beck threatened mysterious forces in Washington who he said were responsible for the coverup. “I make promises. The truth matters. I’ve had enough of what you’ve done to our country. I thought I had heard and seen it all. I thought I didn’t trust my government. Oh no, no, no. There is no depth that these people will not stoop to. They have until Monday and then The Blaze will expose it.”

It’s unclear how the Saudi national fits in with the two suspects in Boston, but that probably doesn’t matter when you have an opportunity to attack the president.

Alex Seitz-Wald

Alex Seitz-Wald is Salon's political reporter. Email him at aseitz-wald@salon.com, and follow him on Twitter @aseitzwald.

Next Article

Related Stories

Featured Slide Shows

The week in 10 pics

close X
  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11
  • This photo. President Barack Obama has a laugh during the unveiling of the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, Tx., Thursday. Former first lady Barbara Bush, who candidly admitted this week we've had enough Bushes in the White House, is unamused.
    Reuters/Jason Reed

  • Rescue workers converge Wednesday in Savar, Bangladesh, where the collapse of a garment building killed more than 300. Factory owners had ignored police orders to vacate the work site the day before.
    AP/A.M. Ahad

  • Police gather Wednesday at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to honor campus officer Sean Collier, who was allegedly killed in a shootout with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects last week.
    AP/Elise Amendola

  • Police tape closes the site of a car bomb that targeted the French embassy in Libya Tuesday. The explosion wounded two French guards and caused extensive damage to Tripoli's upscale al-Andalus neighborhood.
    AP/Abdul Majeed Forjani

  • Protestors rage outside the residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday following the rape of a 5-year-old girl in New Delhi. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and tortured before being abandoned in a locked room for two days.
    AP/Manish Swarup

  • Clarksville, Mo., residents sit in a life boat Monday after a Mississippi River flooding, the 13th worst on record.
    AP/Jeff Roberson

  • Workers pause Wednesday for a memorial service at the site of the West, Tx., fertilizer plant explosion, which killed 14 people and left a crater more than 90 feet wide.
    AP/The San Antonio Express-News, Tom Reel

  • Aerial footage of the devastation following a 7.0 magnitude earthquake in China's Sichuan province last Saturday. At least 180 people were killed and as many as 11,000 injured in the quake.
    AP/Liu Yinghua

  • On Wednesday, Hazmat-suited federal authorities search a martial arts studio in Tupelo, Miss., once operated by Everett Dutschke, the newest lead in the increasingly twisty ricin case. Last week, President Barack Obama, Sen. Roger Wicker, R.-Miss., and a Mississippi judge were each sent letters laced with the deadly poison.
    AP/Rogelio V. Solis

  • The lighting of Freedom Hall at the George W. Bush Presidential Center Thursday is celebrated with (what else but) red, white and blue fireworks.
    AP/David J. Phillip

  • Recent Slide Shows

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Thumbnails
  • Fullscreen
  • 1 of 11

Comments

24 Comments

Comment Preview

Your name will appear as username

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href=""> <b> <em> <strong> <i> <blockquote>