And now, a message from the people

A new poll confirms that Americans want Congress to adopt a plan for bringing the troops home.


--

Shares

Tim Grieve
May 9, 2007 3:34AM (UTC)

Think there's a message for congressional Democrats here?

According to a new CNN poll, 54 percent of Americans disapprove of the president's veto of Congress' timetable for bringing the troops home from Iraq. And if Americans could design the next war-funding bill Congress sends to the president's desk, they'd choose one that brings the troops home as fast as -- or even faster than -- the one the president has already vetoed. Forty percent of the poll's respondents said they'd like to see Congress pass a bill with benchmarks but no timetable, while 33 percent say they want a timetable for the start of withdrawal and 24 percent say they want a timetable that would have all troops home from Iraq by March 2008. Put those last two together, and you have 57 percent of the respondents saying they want a timeline like the one Congress passed or a timeline that's even shorter than that.

Advertisement:

The message for Democrats? Well, that's part of it. The other part: When CNN last asked respondents whether they thought Democratic control of Congress was good or bad for the country, 59 percent of the respondents said "good." That was back in early March, when Nancy Pelosi had just unveiled the Democrats' plan for a timetable for bringing the troops home. Now Democratic leaders seem to be on a course for something less, and the poll numbers show that Americans aren't quite as happy to have Democrats running the Capitol; in the latest count, that 59 percent "Democrats good" number has slid to a bare 51 percent majority.


Tim Grieve

Tim Grieve is a senior writer and the author of Salon's War Room blog.

MORE FROM Tim Grieve

Related Topics ------------------------------------------

Iraq War War Room

BROWSE SALON.COM
COMPLETELY AD FREE,
FOR THE NEXT HOUR

Read Now, Pay Later - no upfront
registration for 1-Hour Access

Click Here
7-Day Access and Monthly
Subscriptions also available
No tracking or personal data collection
beyond name and email address

•••


Fearless journalism
in your inbox every day

Sign up for our free newsletter

• • •