President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Thursday morning to repeat some of his most infamous debunked claims about voter fraud.
These tweets were issued in the aftermath of Trump's decision on Wednesday to dissolve his voter fraud commission, which he said was necessary because various states refused to help out the board. Led by Vice President Mike Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, the board was heavily criticized because it seemed to exist for two reasons: First, to justify Trump's incorrect claim that he won the popular vote; and second, to identify undocumented immigrants voting as a major problem — even though it has been repeatedly proven that undocumented immigrant voting is virtually nonexistent.
Another complaint about the commission was that it was stacked against the Democratic Party. In November, Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap, who had been appointed as one of the Democratic commissioners on the body, sued the commission, claiming that "the commission’s superficial bipartisanship has been a facade."
Dunlap's complaint argued that he was kept out of the loop and prevented from seeing documents from the commission.
It added, "Secretary Dunlap and the other Democratic commissioners have been excluded from the commission’s work."
Trump began making this claim back in January 2017 in reference to the fact that he won the 2016 presidential election while losing the popular vote. Even former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, whose daughter Sarah Huckabee Sanders would later go on to serve as Trump's press secretary, admitted to the Fox Business News network at the time that the voter fraud claims were erroneous.
"I have no evidence whatsoever, and I don't know that anyone does, that there were that many illegal people who voted, and frankly it doesn't matter. He's the president and whether 20 million people voted, it doesn't matter anymore. He's the president, and I'm not sure why he brought it up," Huckabee told Fox Business Network.