Excerpted with permission from Cravings Made Vegan: 50 Plant Based Recipes for Your Comfort Food Favorites by Bianca Haun and Sascha Naderer. Copyright 2019 by Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.
We’re Bianca and Sascha, a foodie couple who went vegan and decided to share our creations with the world. After publishing The Veginner’s Cookbook: The Ultimate Starter Guide for New Vegans and the Veg-Curious to help vegan beginners adjust to their new lifestyle, the idea for this book, a more advanced cookbook for every vegan who deals with non-vegan cravings, was born.
What if we told you there is a way to make soft-baked, fudgy, crisp on the outside chocolate cookies with all plant-based ingredients? These soft-baked chocolate cookies are a staple for desserts, afternoon tea times, or coffee breaks. To make them, you’ll only need a handful of basic ingredients and less than an hour.
SOFT-BAKED CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Makes: 8 cookies | Time: 25 min
1⁄3 cup (70g) coconut oil, softened at room temperature
1⁄3 cup (65g) white sugar (make sure it’s vegan!)
1¼ cups (170g) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
6 tablespoons almond milk or other plant-based milk
1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, add the softened coconut oil and white sugar. Mix everything with a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder and mix again. Then, add in the almond milk until everything comes together.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, form balls with your hands, and press them flat to about ½ inch (1 cm) onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Press a few chocolate chips into each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. They will feel pretty soft at first, but after cooling for a couple of minutes, they should have the perfect texture.