As an associate producer for Salon.com, which is a New York-based, in-studio position, you will work directly with the executive producer to help run technical production, editing and writing content for Salon’s digital video shows—which range from celebrity interviews, to news and politics roundtables, to food demonstrations with top chefs. On a daily basis, you’ll prepare the studio for filming, execute production and assist with post-production for the website. The following job is a union (WGA-E), full-time position with benefits.
Salon has driven the national conversation since 1995 through its fearless journalism and, more recently, original video. Salon covers breaking news, politics, entertainment, culture, technology, science and food through investigative reporting, commentary, criticism, and provocative personal essays. Our articles and original videos bring a variety of voices to the discussion and make the conversation smarter.
- Lead technical, audio and visual aspects of a daily 2-camera studio shoot for SalonTV
- Edit full episodes and cut clips, in collaboration with the executive producer
- Write and create on-screen text and graphics to support interview content
- Coordinate with Salon’s social team to distribute video content across platforms
- Greet guests and work directly with Salon’s hosts
- Pitch and shoot field story ideas, and collaborate with Salon senior editors and staff on projects and assignments, as needed
- At least two years of experience working in production
- A college degree is preferred
- Advanced proficiency in editing software, including Adobe Premiere Pro
- Strong experience shooting with Canon C100 and comparable models
- Deep knowledge of and ease when working with camera equipment
- Excellent news judgment
- An ability to work fast, efficiently and independently and hit daily deadlines
- A wide-ranging interest in news, politics and entertainment in line with Salon’s journalism
Candidates with a background in live production and an ambition to master all sides of production will be prioritized.
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter and applicable materials, such as a reel or clips, to firstname.lastname@example.org with ASSOCIATE PRODUCER in the subject line.