Turns out, they don't require much. After soaking them in a quick marinade made from some additional pantry staples — including hot sauce, olive oil and a medley of spices — I let them cook up in the air fryer until they were perfectly crisp on the outside and just a little creamy on the inside.
What's great about these chickpeas is that they stay crispy for a few days after air frying or oven-baking on a sheet pan, which makes them ideal to pack for lunches. Simply place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag to transport them separately from your taco toppings and tortillas.
Recipe: Spiced Chickpea Street Tacos
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- Fresh juice of 1 lime
- Generous sprinkle of salt
- 6 street taco flour tortillas
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- Sliced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Shaved radish
- Dairy-free sour cream
- Vegan cheese
- Chopped lettuce or greens
- In a large bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients, making sure to do so thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your preferences.
- Add the drained and dried chickpeas to the marinade and stir, ensuring they're fully coated.
- If you're air-frying the chickpeas, preheat the air fryer to 400 and add them to the basket once it comes to temperature. Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the basket regularly, until they're crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside. Alternatively, you can spread the chickpeas on a prepared baking sheet and bake them at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Either way, keep a close eye on the chickpeas so they don't burn (because a few minutes can make a difference).
- Remove the chickpeas from the air fryer or oven. At this point, it's time to prepare your tacos. Stack them with some of the suggested plant-based toppings — including sliced avocado, pico de gallo, shaved radish, vegan cheese and sour cream, chopped lettuce or greens and scallions.
Want more great food writing and recipes? Subscribe to Salon Food's newsletter.
More vegan recipes we love:
- 21 very wonderful vegan dinners from WoonHeng Chia
- From breakfast to dessert, here are the 22 essential vegan items at Trader Joe's
- KFC's vegan nuggets are unremarkable, but here are 2 reasons why you should still try them
Salon Food writes about stuff we think you'll like. Salon has affiliate partnerships, so we may get a share of the revenue from your purchase.